Thursday, January 7, 2010

Eczema treatments we are trying

Well after a call with Dr. Woeller, here is what Eric is doing:

Biotin, a sulphur containing B vitamin, helps metabolize fats & amino acids. Biotin deficiency can manifest as hair loss, dry scaley skin (even cradle cap in infants), dermatitis, even nausea. He is taking 5 - 10 mg per day
Zinc - 100 mg
Essential Fatty Acids (EFA) daily in the form of Cod Liver Oil from Carlson's.
Probiotics nightly

And we are looking into a niacinimide cream as well. And our friend Tom suggested sulphur soap, we need to look into that as well. Given that Biotin is a sulphur containing B vitamin, it may not be a bad idea to hit it from the inside and outside. Eric is logging his supplements and taking pictures of his hands to document what is working. So right now it is just the supplements, no cream or soap and a STRICT adherence to a gluten free diet. 2 nights ago he ate a small piece of garlic bread, the next day his hands were once again cracking and bleeding.

These recommendations are for my husband, please do not use these as a standard and always consult your own doctor/practitioner before starting any new supplements (there's my disclaimer).

5 comments:

Kristy Treible said...

I need to know where to get all this stuff! Tyla has Eczema so bad! IT is all over her skin and horrible in the creases! The Gluten Free diet does help for sure!

Terri Burges Hirning said...

Kristy, you can get them from New Beginnings. Here are the links:

http://www.nbnus.net/shopexd.asp?id=343

http://www.nbnus.net/shopexd.asp?id=87

They will ask who referred you both online or by phone, just give them my name.

This company is committed to gluten/casein/yeast/soy/etc. free supplements geared towards kids on the spectrum.

Kristy Treible said...

Thanks Terri! I really need to talk to you more about New Beginnings because I have had Tyla on Brain Chil Nutritional for about a year now and at first I could really tell a difference and now I don't hink they do anything and it is not cheap!

Terri Burges Hirning said...

Anytime Kristy! I switched Matthew to Syndion and I love it! It was formulated by Dr. Jim Adams out of ASU (the Zoo Walk supports his awesome research). It is a comprehensive multi vitamin and mineral and supports proper methylation and sulfation pathways, two things usually very compromised in these kiddos. I also like that it has biotin and inositol, both help with OCD type behaviors. It also has antioxidants and mito support like CoQ10. It is a liquid and easier to give. Mixed with a tropical or mango/pineapple type juice it tastes very good. You can even buy a small, starter bottle for $11 instead of buying this huge bottle and your child not liking it. Anytime you want to talk, let me know. For us, the right supps made a HUGE difference. Are you guys doing methyl B-12?

diane said...

Of course I remember you! (I tried to find your email but I couldn't, so I am contacting you this way - sorry!).
How are you? Thanks for the comment... It was great hearing from you.
Also, your blog is really interesting - I had no idea what you've been doing. Very cool!