Sunday, May 4, 2008

School lunches

As I made a quick trip to Sprouts today, I noticed a billboard car as I call them. It was a car completely decorated with a company's logo and info. The more I read, the more I was intrigued. It was a school lunch program that was all organic. It is called Fresh Gen Kids (www.fresgenkids.com - yes it is missing the "h" in fresh). I briefly looked at the website, unfortunately they do not do GFCF diets but, maybe in the furture if Matthew's gut gets healed and dairy and wheat are not such a big deal we can look then. Definitely for Emma I will be looking this company up! It brings up the topic of school lunch quality that I have been meaning to blog about for a while. Thanks to Amie for forwarding me this email which stunned me:

Tell USDA: Stop Allowing the Torture of Downed Cows to Feed Our Schoolchildren

Dragging cows too weak to stand. Shocking them with electric prods when they can't walk. Ramming them with forklifts. Even forcing water down their throats -- right out of the manual on waterboarding.
Our shocking undercover investigation revealed these and other abuses of "downed" dairy cows -- those who are too sick or injured to walk -- at a Southern California slaughter plant. And The Humane Society of the United States’ investigation also discovered that the meat from these tortured animals gets fed to children through the National School Lunch Program!
Please watch our investigative video, and then take action today to stop this cruelty.
Our video of the cruelty is very difficult to watch. Even worse is the thought that an outfit like Hallmark Meat Packing Company got away with this kind of abuse every day, without proper oversight from the USDA.
Urge the USDA to tighten its lax enforcement of the downer rule and to close the rule's loophole -- so that cows who are obviously in no shape to walk are not taken to slaughter in the first place.
Don't forget to
tell your friends and family how they can help, too.
Thank you for all you do for animals.
Sincerely,Wayne PacellePresident and CEOThe Humane Society of the United States
P.S. You can find the
full details of this shocking investigation on our website or in a recent Washington Post story.

It was shocking to watch the video they referred to. And, I also heard that they will start allowing cloned meat into the school lunch supply. I know there are plenty of people that don't care about eating cloned meat but I do. I just don't think there is enough info out there about the genetic changes that may be occuring with cloning (if any) and what our consumption of those animals may do to us in the future. So, I am totally against them being able to slip that stuff into my child's school lunch. And, right now the offspring of cloned meat have already made their way into our food supply, without requirements for labeling. I personally plan to push our legislators to make it mandatory for the labeling of cloned meat on the packaging. We should know what we are eating and be able to make that choice or not. So, for those of you with school aged kids who may be less than thrilled with the school lunch offerings, you may want to check out Fresh Gen Kids!

No comments: