Thursday, December 18, 2008

You know you have a child with Autism if.....

Yes, I know, I have been posting more stories and less facts. But hey, what can I say? I am in the flurry of Christmas preparations, making, wrapping, packing, shipping, oh my! So, not to bore my blog readers (all 2 of you) too much I wanted to still post but have had very little time for research or even pulling together items of real material value. So, this is something that I have been meaning to post since the DAN! conference. Dan Rossignol who works with Dr. Bradstreet in Florida did a "You know you have a child with Autism if....." top ten list and I just had to share. It is on his website (along with the full presentation which was excellent by the way) and can be found here under the presentations tab: http://www.icdrc.org/index.html

But, here is the list (with my notes in bold):

10 You walk around with your child’s medical records at conferences (I have to fess up, I had Matthew's records with me at DAN!)

9 You know what ileocolonic lymphoid nodular hyperplasia means (and many other equally unpronounceable things....)

8 You think a good’s night sleep is 2-3 hours (thankfully not since Methyl B-12, but for MANY years!!)

7 It takes longer to explain the GFCF diet to your waitress than it does to eat the food (we don't go there, just bring our own!)

6 Your child takes more pills than your grandmother (oh yeah, big time!!)

5 Your best friends are the ones you met on an online autism support group (or the therapy clinic waiting room!)

4 Your family and friends think you are practicing voodoo medicine on your child (oh yeah, between homeopathy, aromatherapy and supps, everyone thinks I am a witch doctor!)

3 You receive so many packages from pharmacies that your neighbors think you are a drug dealer (just got one yesterday! the boxes keep getting bigger....)

2 Your child’s urine has been to more countries than you have (DEFINITELY! and sad....lol)

1 You compare poop stories with all of your friends (or on your blog!)

So there you have it, a little laughter to lighten up the crowded malls, the deadlines and the aching backs after wrapping your little booties off. As for me.....back to work, more presents to wrap!!